Proper Maintenance for a Metal Building
Metal buildings are quite durable, but even the most well-built among them needs some periodic maintenance to stay looking and working great. Most of it is simple, and a good inspection and maintenance session once a year or so should be enough to prevent most problems. Here are a few tips to help you get started.
Common Signs of Wear in a Metal Structure
During everyday use, note any wear you may notice in your metal garage, shop, barn, or RV cover so you can take care of them during your regular maintenance routine. Some of the more common signs of wear include:
- Scratches, dings, or gouges in the metal that may allow corrosion to set in
- Dents or more severe impact damage
- Loose screws and fasteners
- Curled panel edges
- Warped, bent, or sagging panels
- Damaged trim, gutters, or downspouts
- Entry doors that squeak, drag, or are hard to open
- Garage doors that do not roll well, are misaligned, or are hard to open
- Windows with damaged frames or glass
- Windows that have problems opening
- Corrosion, discolorations, or damage to finished surfaces
How To Prevent Wear & Damage
Here are a few simple things you can do to prevent physical wear and damage to your metal building:
- Keep the outside of the building clear of debris to prevent scratches and dents.
- Trim trees and brush near the building to avoid scratches, dents, sap, and leaf debris.
- Clear ice, snow, and leaf debris from the perimeter of the building to avoid trapped moisture and corrosion.
In areas with heavy snow during the winter, it is important to monitor the snow on the roof and remove it if it exceeds the building’s rated snow load. In areas with high wind, it is a good idea to check for loose panels and fasteners periodically.
In the southwestern United States, monitor painted surfaces for signs of sun damage and check for loose fasteners caused by oil canning or the movement of the panels with hot and cold cycles.
Preventive Maintenance Tips
Once a year, you should inspect garages, barns, shops, and other metal structures for damage and do some basic maintenance. This should include:
- Washing the exterior of the building
- Sanding, priming, and painting any corroded areas or raw, exposed metal
- Pulling dents or dings and repairing them, if necessary
- Securing any loose siding or roofing panels
- Tightening loose fasteners and replacing missing fasteners
- Cleaning and repairing gutters and downspouts
- Lubricating entry door hinges and lockets, garage door rollers and tracks, and window tracks and hardware
Inspect all the roofing and siding panels and the steel structural components for damaged finishes, whether it is galvanized, zinc plated, painted, or powder-coated. Any scratches, gouges, or dents should be sanded, primed, and painted to avoid corrosion.
Quality Steel Buildings for Residential, Agricultural & Commercial Applications
Are you considering a metal building for your home, farm, or business? At Bulldog Steel Structures, we offer high-quality, American-made steel buildings for nearly any residential, agricultural, or commercial application.
From steel garages and barns to RV covers, commercial buildings, and custom steel structures, we can help you find the ideal metal building for your needs and budget. We serve customers throughout the continental United States, and we offer great financing options to make getting your new steel building easy and convenient.
Customers Are Saying
I highly recommend Bulldog Steel Structures. It has really been a pleasure working with Juan and Savannah. They made sure I got everything thing that I needed at a really great price! Everyone needs to check out their website, I guarantee you ...- Christy R.
I compared more carports than you can imagine, between various companies and sizes, because the county was not decisive on exactly what I could get approved for so I was testing various options and prices. Bulldog Steel Structures was definitely atte...- Jennifer T.
Juan Cortes was very helpful and patient with me even with all my questions and change of dimension of structure. He was very knowledgeable of product and procedures of installation of product. I would have no problem sending friends and famil...- Denia G.
The workers showed up on time, knew what they were doing, and got the carport assembled quickly. The lead fellow was courteous and answered all my questions. Nice looking structure. Very happy with it.- William K.
Hannah and Savannah were the best to work with on our garage building. Very helpful and incredibly nice. I would highly recommend them for your purchase.- Kim C.
Put up a RV cover for me on a concrete pad. Turned out great and the guys cleaned up after the work. Very satisfied. Would recommend these people.- Dan and Linda I.
I love my “She Shop.” It was amazingly easy. I sent an email, made 2 phones calls and it was done. The installation went even easier. Three guys showed up one day and finished the next. They were polite and cleaned up after themselves. My husband...- Theressa J.
I visited their website and used the 3D estimator and was able to see my building with doors, window placements, colors,and overall look. When you add or change any feature, including size, you can immediately see the result and change in price (if a...- David T.
delivering & installing
the united states
Bulldog’s metal barns, garages, and carports are available for delivery and installation in most of the U.S. Whether you’re a homeowner in Maine, a rancher in Texas, or a small business owner in California, you’ll get to-your-door delivery and professional installation, so your building will be sturdy and reliable for years to come.See Service Area